Did you ever imagine that natural leaves and flowers of a plant could put your little purring friend in grievous danger?
There are several naturally occurring plants that are extremely poisonous for animals. One such plant is Hydrangeas. These are plants with broad & flat leaves and distinct bright color flowers ranging in a variety of attractive colors including purple, pink, white, among others.
Read on to know how this pretty plant can be painfully dangerous for your cat.
Why Is Hydrangea Poisonous For Your Cat?
Research reveals that the leaves, flowers, and buds of this plant contain a chemical enzyme called amygdalin. Amygdalin as such is not poisonous or toxic at all, but when animals or even humans eat it or when it is metabolized, it produces cyanide which is toxic and poisonous for all mammals.
Symptoms of hydrangea poisoning
In most cases the consumption of hydrangea affects the gastrointestinal tract thus, symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea which is in most cases bloody, are shown by the cat.
The greater the consumption of hydrangea, the higher the chances of it leading to serious complications arising from lethargy and even depression in the animal. It might also lead to seizures and in some serious cases, coma.
The good news is that in order for it to be critically dangerous, the animal has to consume a lot of it which they usually don’t. If your cat happens to munch on it anyway, it’s best if you try to get as many leaves from its mouth as possible and consult a veterinary doctor immediately.
How do you keep your cat from chewing on random leaves? Share some tips in the comments section!