I love munching on pretzels–I call them my guilty pleasure.
Some popcorns, pretzels, and Netflix are all I need for an awesome Saturday night in. And, as always, my dog seems to be extremely interested in what I’m eating. So much so, that he makes a little puddle out of his drool!
In this blog post, I’ll answer the question, “Can dogs eat pretzels?” in detail.
Let’s figure out whether or not you can share this tasty treat with your furbaby!
Yes or No: Can Dogs Eat Pretzels?
Pretzels are not toxic to dogs but, they aren’t necessarily good, either. Giving the salty treat to your dog is not recommended. However, if your dog accidentally had a pretzel or two, he won’t have any aversive reactions.
Why Are Pretzel Not Recommended for Dogs?
Pretzels are essentially a bunch of pieces of bread but, they are sprinkled with little white elements and sometimes, are heavily coated. More often than not, this white substance is rock salt.
As you may already know, excess salt is bad for your furry friend’s health.
Pretzels also have several other toppings—like chocolate covered pretzels—that aren’t safe for dogs. So, look at the list of ingredients for things that may be toxic to your furry friend before you let him munch on some pretzels.
Are Unsalted Pretzels Safe for My Dog?
Sweet pretzels are not recommended for your furry friend.
Some brands of sweet pretzels contain raisins in the list of ingredients which is toxic to dogs and can have bad consequences, Sweet pretzels can also contain Xylitol which is an artificial sweetener and is also toxic to dogs.
If you do want to share a sweet pretzel or two with your furry friend, read through the list of ingredients and make sure that toxic ingredients aren’t used.
Dogs can have dough-based foods but, in moderation. Yes, having a small quantity of pretzel now and again won’t really be a problem in the long run but, avoid it as much as you can.
Still, have any questions? Let me know in the comments section, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.