The characteristic symptoms of constipation in cats include incomplete, infrequent, and difficult defecation due to the hard bowel movements.
In this blog post I’ll go through a few common causes that lead to constipation in cats.
So, let’s just dive right in.
Following are the causes of constipation in cats:
- Swallowing of bones
- Swallowing of hair
- Presence of a foreign material
- An excess of fiber in the cat’s diet
- Drinking less water
- Lack of exercise
- Blockage of the intestine
- Weakness of muscles or complete paralysis of the muscles
- Low level of blood calcium
- Increased levels of the parathyroid hormone
- Decreased blood potassium
- Decreased thyroid hormone levels in the blood
- Any change in the environment
- Aggression between cats
The causes listed above are the common causes of constipation in cats. I would advice you to take your kitty to the vet if you feel that something is wrong.
After all, prevention is better than cure.
If you have any questions for concerns, please leave them in the comments section ad we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!
Share your tips for constipation relief in cats in the comments section…